Once and For All Book Review

Louna daughter of famed wedding planner Natalie Barrett, has seen every sort of wedding: on the beach, at historic mansions, in fancy hotels and clubs. Perhaps that's why she's cynical about happily-ever-after endings, especially since her own first love ended tragically. When Louna meets charming, happy-go-lucky serial dater Ambrose, she holds him at arm's length. But Ambrose isn't about to be discouraged, now that he's met the one girl he really wants. 

Once and For All is Sarah Dessen's 13th novel, and like many others before it, her latest work did not disappoint. Dessen's new Young Adult novel is the perfect romantic Summer read. I tried to resist reading the book too quickly after release date, but I wasn't able to, not even with the piles of freelance work I have lined up and the books in my to be read pile. Thanks to Audible (not sponsored!), I was able to listen to the book while I got some work done. I finished the entire thing in two days, which is not a surprise when it comes to me and a Sarah Dessen book. 

The entire thing keeps you on the edge of your seat, making you want to get through it all in one sitting. It is fantastic! 

This book has your usual teen dramas and worries the summer after High School graduation and before beginning University life, but it also deals with some pretty intense and heavy social topics like school shootings, grieving, and loss. Yet, Sarah Dessen has that talent to be able to talk about such intense topics but still keeping it all light enough to make any of her contemporary novels the perfect Summer reads. 

What I love the most about Dessen's novels is that her character's relationships develop in a very realistic way. It never feels forced. It all just flows in a natural matter. Also, the same happens with the way the main characters and the secondary (but very present) characters interact. And overall, she over makes sure to highlight the importance of friendships. Once and For All has one of my favorite best friend relationships. Jilly and Louna are up there for me with Layla and Sydney from her previous novel Saint Anything. 

Ambrose, on the other hand, is about the most obnoxious and annoying of the Dessen boys. Yet, at the same time, you can't help but love him. He is a character with a huge heart, full of hope, contagious energy, and an interesting decision making ways. He is the type of character that lives one day at a time and in the best way possible. And it is impossible to deny that he is very funny. He is the true heart of the story and one of the main reasons why you keep reading. He is also the reason I thought for a moment this might not be one of my favorite Sarah Dessen books. He takes you on a very interesting emotional rollercoaster. One chapter you love him, but the next you hate him. Soon you learn that it is these flaws and things that make you dislike him for some time what make him so unique, to begin with. 

The way Dessen tells this story is very unique. Louna is talking to us all the time, especially when she is recalling the events of her last relationship with Ethan. "People will tell you what they want you to know", and this quote from the book is very much true. We take a journey with Louna into her grieving process. We see her slowly tell us more and more, and opening up in the same way she slowly opens up with Ambrose. She takes her sweet time moving on in a healthy way, which I loved very much. 

The second thing I love the most about reading a new Sarah Dessen novel? Finding her Easter Eggs from past books. I cannot tell you how excited I was when we are back in Colby, seeing all our favorite places from this beachside town we've revisited time and time again in her novels. When Ethan and Louna visit the Coffee and Pie place from Along for the Ride on their first date, I was internally fangirling. An action that became external when we see out favorite main characters from the book, Eli and Auden, still very much together. Auden is even wearing her Clementine's shirt! You're a real Dessen fan if all of these bits and pieces make sense to you. 

Ethan was another thing I loved about this book. I cannot think of him now without tears coming into my eyes. There are so many Ethan's out there in this world, especially in the times we are living now. It just makes my heart ache. Dessen's addition of this sort of story line and past for Louna really sets this book apart from all the others. She really has amazing back stories from her characters, but this one simply feels different. 

Lastly, I always have a take away from Sarah's books. That final message you take with you and that will make you remember her books in a very unique and special way. My take on Once and For All can be summed up in this one quote: "Memories are what we have and what we keep". The importance of making memories, living epic moments, living one day at a time, and not letting our fears hold us back is such an important concept in this book. 

I give this book a 4 out of 5. I highly recommend it. There is even so much more I could say about this book, but I want to keep spoilers to a minimum! 

Have you read Once and For All yet? Let me know what you thought about the book in the comments below. In the meantime, I'll write to you all soon. 

Love, Nashi 

Comments

Popular Posts