Puerto Rican Flancocho Recipe


I remember having flancocho a lot as a kid. My great aunt used to make it all the time, and I distinctively remember it being absolutely delicious. Nobody else in our family used to make it, only she did. Once she passed away, the memories of flancocho became a distant memory. This year, I have decided to dig up all of these recipes from my family. This is my great aunt's flancocho, using my mom's flan recipe. It is super simple to make and really gives it a different twist to two classics: flan and yellow cake. 

Ingredients

For the cake:
  • Box of Betty Crocker Super Moist Yellow Cake - Follow the instructions listed in the back of the box. I always substitute oil for butter. I like the way the cake tastes this way, especially yellow cake. 
Flan:
  • 6 ounces softened cream cheese
  • 4 egg
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 can of evaporated milk
  • 1 can of condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup of granulated sugar - for the caramel
  • cooking spray and a round cake pan

Instructions

  1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Spray your cake pan with cooking spray and sprinkle the sugar inside. Put in the oven to caramelize until the sugar is melted and golden brown. 
  3. Whisk together your box cake mix. Set aside.  
  4. To your blender, add your cream cheese, eggs, vanilla extract, evaporated milk, and condensed milk.
  5. Blend until everything is well incorporated.
  6. Once your sugar has caramelized, take the cake pan out of the oven and wait a minute or two before adding your flan mixture. 
  7. On top of the flan mixture, scoop some cake mix slowly and without mixing the two until most of your flan mixture is covered. In the cake pan I used, I did not use all of the cake mixture. I used about 3/4 of the entire mix. 
  8. Bake in your oven for about 45 minutes or until your cake is ready (a toothpick comes out clean).
  9. Once you take out, allow it to cool to room temperature before flipping it onto a serving plate. Now you're ready to enjoy it to room temperature or refrigerate to enjoy it cold.  

Have you ever had some flancocho? What is your favorite dessert creations? Share with me your recipe creations on Instagram by using the hashtag #LoveNashiBakes and tagging me @love_nashi. I would love to see how yours turns out. I'll write to you all soon. 

Love, Nashi 

Comments

Popular Posts