Smashbox vs Wet n Wild (Bawse liquid lipstick dupe)

To be completely honest, I had an entirely different post prepared and scheduled for today but I was too excited to share this find with all of you beauty enthusiasts! You might remember that in my My Must Have Lipsticks blog post I spoke about how much I loved the Smashbox Always On Liquid Lipstick in the color Bawse. This has been my favorite and staple red lipstick since I bought it in May last year.
The lipstick sells for $24 at Sephora and is the color that the youtuber Lilly Singh aka Superwoman designed for the Always On Liquid Lipstick collection. In my blog post, I ranted about how it lasts all day without touch-ups, that it applies like butter and it is easy to apply without making mistakes due to the shape of the wand.

Which is why I am super excited to say I might have found the perfect drugstore dupe for this A+ High-End liquid lipstick. The new Wet n Wild Megalast Liquid Catsuit Lipstick in the color Missy and Fierce is basically exactly the same in color, formula, and longevity. The Wet n Wild lipstick sells at Walgreens for $4.99.
The Wet n Wild Megalast Lipsticks come in a variety of 13 colors, while the Smashbox Always On Lipstick collection has a total of 20 different colors. I haven't tried any other color in each collection to know if any other dupes may exist, but I can vouch that Bawse and Missy and Fierce are basically identical.

The first thing I did was swatch them side by side. Each one applies similarly. The texture is very creamy, although I must say that I prefer the wand for the Smashbox one because it makes it easier to line your lips when applying.

The other difference is that the Smashbox one dries a lot quicker than the Wet n Wild one, although as soon as they are both dry their texture is very similar. It feels soft and velvety on the lips without being over drying. They both dry matte. They do not feel sticky or tacky at all.

Once they are completely dry they are also transfer proof and do not fade or mess up when water is applied. If you stare at them hard and long enough you could tell that the wet n wild is slightly brighter, but that is something that someone notices if they are being extremely picky. At first glance, their colors are very much the same.
And all this I got from swatches alone! I then applied both colors onto my lips. On my left side (left of picture), I wore Bawse; and on my right side (right of the picture), I wore Missy and Fierce. I wore them all day side by side to see if there was any difference in color or wear. They both felt exactly the same once they were dry and I asked around and nobody noticed that I had two different lipsticks on. In fact, they were shocked when I told them.

The last test was to make sure the Wet n Wild lipstick lasted as long as the Smashbox one, which I have worn all day without touch ups. The answer is that it is! I wore them both side by side and they faded the same amount. You could notice some fading on the inside of my lips and the edges. I wore them both for about 9 hours and during that time I ate, drank loads of water, ran a bunch of errands and worked out.

Here is a picture of my before (left) and after (right) with each lipstick. Sorry about the lighting on the second one. That was during my afternoon walk and the sunset was the best lighting I had to show you the lipsticks.

In my book, this is a definite dupe and a win if you asked me. What do you think? Is this a dupe or not? Let me know in the comments!

I'll write to you all soon.

Love, Nashi

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts