Thirteen Reasons Why Book Review

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list. Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

I don’t even know where to begin reviewing this book but I do want to say that this is one of the best books I have read in my lifetime.  It is the kind of book you see in the bookstore and it draws you in but you don’t buy it until it is the third time in the store and the book is back in your hands. 

A warning about this book is that it could be triggering to some people because it does talk about some very intense topics. Despite this, suicide and bullying are not topics we should take lightly and our youth should hear more about these things because maybe they could learn something from it. 


This book has everything. You cry, you get angry, you are in suspense and you might even fall in love or grow to hate some characters. And if you are like me, you might even come to terms with the ending.


This is a book in which the images were so clearly painted in my mind and I kept thinking, how would I have reacted if it had been me. Also, it’s not only the book that keeps a fresh image in your mind because there are also the tapes which game me chills! 

I think you identify with the book so much because you are not Hannah, you are a friend of hers reading/listening to the tapes. Wondering over and over again what went wrong, why didn’t you see that before, what you could have done? If it had been me, I would have seriously gone crazy. It was a learning experience and it teaches you so much about that snowball effect and how a simple word could have a ripple effect in somebody else's life. Something so insignificant to somebody could be such a big deal to the person sitting right next to you. It impacted my life so much that it is a book I have passed on to others so much I no longer have a copy for myself. 


The book is truly amazing and I applaud Jay Asher for his work. I recommend this book in its full potential. I think it would be great for a book club since it gives a debating topic. With this book you learn most importantly to value life to its fullest and that everyone is entitled to their own opinions.


Also, the book is being turned into a Netflix series that will come out later this year and I am really excited to check out and see if it makes the book justice. 




If you or anyone you know is going through a similar situation call the toll-free, 24-hour hotline of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) to be connected to a trained counselor at a suicide crisis center nearest you.

I'll write to you all soon. 

Love, Nashi

Comments

  1. Great review, first time reading your blog and I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you enjoy it. I make new posts every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Friday's is always a book review!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts