My skincare essentials


I'm often approached by my friends about how I keep my skin clean and blemish free, which usually leads me to joke that I have good genes because you should see how amazing my grandma's skin is. The truth? I've struggled with my skin my entire life, and now I feel that it is in a good place where I am content with it and overall with the skincare products I am using. This doesn't mean that during that time of the month I won't get a few spots.

When I was in Middle School and High School, I used to struggle with really bad acne and redness, and to be honest I still do. This has led me to try many products that turned out to be a complete waste of time or sometimes even make my skin worse, but within all those products I've tried I have found some of my favorites which have made my essentials list. As you will be able to see in this post, I do not commit to one brand and have tried them all. I've used products like proactive and all the way to Clean and Clear. In the last year or so I gathered the best products to work for my skin which is combination to oily.

To anybody struggling with a skincare routine, I advise you to see a dermatologist or continue to switch it up until you find something that works. Skin care starts with what you wash your face with and finishes with what makeup you apply and how you remove it. Find products that work with your skin type and sometimes it can be just one product causing all the damage. Don't give up and do your research. Trust me, it makes all the difference.

So without further ado, here are my skincare essential products!

Bioré Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser
Price: $5.62 - $7.49 (depends on where you purchase)
This was the product that changed my skin care routine game. I found out about it through a sample I got inside my Seventeen Magazine. The moment I tried it I really liked how it made my face feel. I think what it helped me the most with was to control my oily skin. What I like about it is that it is one of those products you feel working on your skin as you use it. It has a sort of tingly cooling effect as you cleanse your face. I will either use it during the morning or at night, sometimes even twice a day. If you are into charcoal products, I would suggest you give this one a try. It is my favorite from the Bioré Charcoal line.

Bioré Baking Soda Cleansing Scrub
Price: $9.99
This is yet another product from Bioré's Don't Be Dirty line. This is what I like to call a gentle scrub. The formula is in powder form, which means the more water you add the more it will feel like a cleanser, but the less creates like a thick paste you can scrub your face with. No matter how you prefer to use it, you always feel the fine grains of the powder gently exfoliating your face. I like this better than their Baking Soda Cleanser. I use this together with the charcoal cleanser 3 to 4 times a week or whenever I think I really need it. This product has really helped me even out my skin tone and even reduce the redness I suffer off in my T-zone. Both this Baking Soda Scrub and the Charcoal Cleanser are oil free which really works for those of you that have combination or oily skin. 

Clean & Clear Oil-Control Toner
Price: $5.99-$8.41 (depends on where you purchase)
I prefer a toner to an astringent because it is less harsh on my face. This toner has been a part of my routine for years and every time I try and switch it, I always come back to this. During High School and College, Clean & Clear used to be my go-to skin care brand and this was the only product that stuck. It does not dry my skin and it really has helped me control my oily skin, to the point where I notice my makeup lasting longer now than it used to. I use it every night after washing my face and before my nightly moisturizer. I simply apply some to a cotton pad and swipe it over my face (avoid your eyes please!). 

All Natural Witch Hazel Toner
Price: $4.99
Don't let the name scare you! According to Wikipedia, Witch Hazel is an astringent anti-inflammatory compound produced from the leaves and bark of the North American Witch Hazel shrub. It has been used by Native Americans to treat irritations of the skin and even tumors. Which is why this product is an all-natural astringent that feels more like a toner than anything else. I started using this after seeing some reviews about it on Youtube and decided to give it a try. It has a strong herbal smell, but I use it on days where my skin doesn't need much oil control or I don't feel like using chemicals on it. It has a very nice cooling effect and along with the rest of the products it really has helped me by evening out my skin tone and making my skin feel extra clean. 

Oil-Free Neutrogena Moisturizer
Price: $11.72 - $12.99 (depends on where you purchase)
For the longest time, I thought that since I had oily skin I did not need a moisturizer. I didn't even know oil-free moisturizers existed. And let me tell you, this along with my night moisturizer did all the difference in giving a healthy glow to my skin. It really makes my face feel soft and radiant and gives me the confidence on those makeup free days. So if you still don't have a moisturizer in your routine, start researching to find the perfect one for your skin. Trust me, your skin will thank you! 

Olay Gel Moisturizer Overnight Mask
Price: $29.99-$35.78 (depends on where you purchase)
I had had my eye on this for forever due to its price. I got it last May with some birthday money and I have no doubt in my mind I will repurchase once I run out. You need the tiniest amount to spread over your face right before you go to sleep. It does not leave my face feeling oily or sticky. And as soon as I wake up I do not feel the need to wash it off because I don't feel like I am wearing anything. This has helped my skin feel plumped and glowy. The most difference I have seen has been in my under eyes. They tend to feel dry and sensitive, but this product has made all the difference. Olay is a brand my grandmother swears by and she has amazing skin for her age. So if you asked me this product really is worth the money. 

Lush Cosmetics Popcorn Lip Scrub 
Price: $10.95
A lot of people forget that face is much more than your skin, which is why I wanted to include this lip scrub by Lush Cosmetics. I suffer from chapped lips all the time, to the point where moisturizing alone does not help. This is a sweet and salty scrub that helps exfoliate your lips with sugar, sea salt and corn meal, while also moisturizing them with oils. A little goes a long way with this. It is hard not to eat it because it tastes so good! This product leaves your lips feeling soft, polished and ready for that bold lipstick makeup look or no makeup days. 

Lush Cosmetics Honey Trap Lip Balm
Price: $9.95
This is my favorite lip balm to use at night or right before doing my makeup. It not only feels great on the lips but the amount of nourishing and moisturizing ingredients it has will help your lips. Plus it smells delicious! I use it alongside the Minted Rose Lip Balm (price: $7) by the Rosebud Perfume Co. to keep my lips moisturized and perfect at all times. 

Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes
Price: $5.99 - $11(depends on where you purchase)
This is the first step I take to remove my makeup. These wipes are magic and I've tried a handful of brands that simply do not do what the Simple brand wipes do for me. They are extremely soft and gentle on the skin. They don't contain any oils, no alcohol, perfume or color. And to top it all off it has vitamins that help your skin. I use this to get most of my makeup off before continuing with my steps to remove my makeup and head to bed. They are also great when traveling or staying over at a friends house. Extremely handy and they truly do the job. 

Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water
Price: $6.97-$8.99 (depends on where you purchase) 
This works wonders in taking off that tough makeup like dark lipsticks, liner, and mascara. For how powerful it is, I am surprised at how gentle it is on the skin. Most makeup removers make me break out horribly or even give me allergies in a matter of minutes, but not this micellar cleansing water. I simply pour some on a cotton pad, press and then wipe the makeup away like magic! And on days that I am too lazy or tired to wash my face, I do not need to wash this off because it doesn't leave my skin oily or sticky. It also doesn't cause my face to breakout if I don't finish my night time routine. This is a winning product for me. 

Olay ProX Advanced Facial Cleansing System
Price: $20.41 - $37.99 (depends on where you purchase)
This is my favorite cleansing tool. I got it on a whim because it was on sale at Walgreens and I was surprised after one use how much makeup and dirt remained on my pores after removing all my makeup (pre-washing). I use it with a bit of dove soap or even with my charcoal cleanser. It leaves my face feeling clean and refreshed. It is not harsh on my skin or anything. And it is so easy to use! In a minute I am all done and ready to tone my face and moisturize. 

Studio 35 Beauty Textured Cotton Rounds
Price: $2.89 (at Walgreens)
I go through these as if they were air! I buy them in a three pack every few weeks. They are really handy when it comes applying my toner or using the micellar water. What I love the most about them is that even though they are textured they are gentle on the skin and do not leak out any makeup product as I press and wipe. Thought it would be nice to add it to my skincare essentials as a handy tool. 

In a future post I will talk about the face masks I like to use in order to keep my face looking the best it ever has. Masks are a great help when wanting to tone or brighten up your skin complexion. There are others that are even good for blemish control. Something else I wanted to mention is that cleaning your makeup brushes is very important for your skincare routine. Like everything, maybe these products and tips aren't for everyone, but they are what has worked for me.

I always like trying new things (with caution and after research) because there are so many products out there that could help my skin clean and blemish free. So if you have any suggestions, leave it in the comments. And if these products do not work for you, do not be discouraged and keep on trying until you find what does work for your skin. If you are not satisfied, visiting a dermatologist is always an option.

Love, Nashi

Comments

Popular Posts