Everything, Everything Book Review

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.



In my March Favorites, I mentioned that my book favorite for the month had been Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon. This book was recommended by my friend and bookie squad member during out Gallentine's dinner this year. She told me about how much she had enjoyed it and that I should definitely check it out because it was right up my alley. To my surprise, the very next day I saw the trailer for the movie that will be coming out later this year. I knew right then I had to read this book. 

This book really surprised me. I am really impressed with the plot, the characters, and the story in general. It has everything you could ask for in a book. It has a cute young budding romance, incredibly funny conversations, and a very unique format and illustrations that make the book fun to read. 

The book reminds me a lot of The Fault in Our Stars and All the Bright Places, but not entirely. It just follows the same type of mindset of a relationship that appears to be doomed by the circumstances surrounding the characters. 



What I do love is the diversity we see in the book. You don't always get an Afro-Asian narrator. And let me tell you that Madeline is quite the character. She sucked me in right into her world with her witty attitude, her smarts, her mind, and her illustrations all throughout the book. 

Also, the book has a pretty huge twist near the end. This might be good for some people, but maybe not for others. In my opinion, I quite liked it. I saw it coming all through the book. I had my suspicions. 

The only thing that left me craving more was the resolution of the book. It seemed rushed compared to the rest of the story. Even then, it's a really cute book and I can't wait to watch the film. 

The film is set to be released in the US on May 19th, 2017. The trailer seems pretty true to the book and it has me pretty excited if I am honest. Check out the trailer here: 


Overall this was a great debut novel and I think this is an author to watch out for! I will definitely be looking forward to other books by Nicola Yoon in the future. 

If you're looking for a cute and quick read, I definitely recommend this book. I know I ate it up in a day. I could not set it down at all! 

Have you read Everything, Everything yet? Let me know what you thought about it in the comments bellow! I'll write to you all soon. 

Love, Nashi

Comments

  1. It sounds like an interesting read and something that I would enjoy reading as well! Thank you for the review and I can’t wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the layout of your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this trailer. It looks so good. I'm going to have to check out this book.
    xojohnnielynn

    http://xojohnnielynn.com/spring-makeup-look/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trailer is what sold me to check out the book!

      Delete
  4. I have heard the book mentioned a couple times but hadn't seen the trailer yet. It will be interesting to see how well they do the movie. I find book to movie renditions either go REALLY well, or they crash and burn!

    Britt | http://alternativelyspeaking.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the same about book to movie adaptations. Lately there are more good ones than bad ones, so this will be interesting to see how it turns out. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts