Cornbread Muffin Recipe


Sweet cornbread was my great grandfather's favorite food. I remember eating it a lot whenever we were visiting him. Ever since he passed away a few years ago, I find myself craving them quite often, especially due to all the feel good memories they bring. This sweet or savory cornbread muffin recipe is my idea of real comfort food. You can check out the recipe I loosely followed here. The recipe makes 12 muffins but you can always double the measurements if you want to make twice as much. 

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup of Cornmeal
  • 1 and 1/4 cup of All Purpose Flour
  • 1 tablespoon of Baking Powder
  • 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 2 large eggs 
  • 3 tablespoons of honey 
  • 3/4 cup of low-fat milk
  • 1/2 cup of butter (melted and cooled)

Instructions

  1. Pre-heat your oven at 350 degrees and grease your muffin pan with some non-stick cooking spray. You can always line them with paper cups if you prefer, but I love the crispy edges and not using the paper cups ensures you get those crisp edges. 
  2. Using a whisk or a fork (not an electric mixer because you risk overmixing the batter),  whisk together the cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder. 
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, and then milk.  
  4. Add the milk mixture and melted butter to your dry ingredients. Stir until everything is well combined and you can't see any dry patches. Do not overmix! (The batter may appear lumpy and that is perfectly fine.)
  5. Spoon the batter evenly into your muffin pan, fill them up until they are almost full. For me, it was approximately 2 tablespoons per cup. I used a measuring spoon because it made it easier to transfer the batter into each cup. 
  6. Bake them for 20 minutes or until the tops have set and they are golden brown. 
  7. Cool the muffins a few minutes inside the pan before serving warm. 
Note: These are just as good cold or heated up in the microwave or oven (do not overheat or they will get tough). So you can always make them ahead of time. 

What is your favorite way to eat cornbread muffins? I like to eat mine warm. I simply cut them in half and spread some butter over each half. Absolutely delicious! Share with me your recipe creations on Instagram by using the hashtag #LoveNashiBakes and tagging me @love_nashi. I would love to see how yours turns out. I'll write to you all soon. 

Love, Nashi 

Comments

Popular Posts