Time Management Tips

So I haven't blogged in a few days and that has completely been my fault. With mother's day weekend and so much freelance writing work I just didn't have the mental energy to write and edit awesome content for all of you. When I am extremely busy, even when I have topics and pictures all planned out, I have a hard time with time managing. I think we all are, especially when we are new at something and we still haven't found our working rhythm. It is easy to forget how much there is to do or get sidetracked. Worst of all? When you're so busy it is so easy to get overwhelmed or even anxious about all the things you need to do throughout your day.

When I was a student as an undergrad and in my graduate program, I often had times where I shut down due to anxiety or even because I was so overwhelmed I just didn't know where to start. When this is starting to happen, the most important thing is not to let the stress and looming deadlines overtake your mental state and mind.

At the end of the day, the best way to avoid this stressful burnout where nothing gets down is by managing your life and time. We need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and organize things in a way that will help us not only get through our day. Also, it is important to document our progress towards our goals as a way to motivate ourselves.

The first step to time management and a very important tip is to use a calendar to keep track of the things you need to do. Yet, you shouldn't just use any calendar. Make or purchase one that will divide things yearly, monthly, and weekly. This way you will not only keep track of your day to day and upcoming weeks but also the long-term deadlines and goals you may have.

To-do lists are also one of my favorite ways to manage my time, and they actually help with not stressing me out. It is a brilliant way to focus only on the things on the list one by one. I find that often I will look at a calendar and be overwhelmed by all of the deadlines. To-do lists are an easy way for me to focus and get through my days and tasks. It is also great when you need to prioritize.

Schedule time for certain things as if they were meetings. This is what I like to do with blogging or at least the rhythm I want to fall into. First thing after breakfast and checking my emails, I set up an hour to work on my future blog posts. During this time I brainstorm ideas, I schedule posts, write them, edit them, take pictures, etc. Once I finish working on the blog, I move on to other projects and tasks that need to be done. I do the same with my writing in general.

Don't stress out about interruptions or changes in your schedule. In fact, you should welcome them. Don't fill up your day 100%, allow yourself a 50% to get distracted or interrupted. If everything is just work, you will burn yourself out and kill your creativity and efficiency. This is why if a friends texts me about a lunch date or my mom wants to go to the sunflower farm, I will not say no. I take that time to step back and relax. I gurantee that you will come back to your work more refreshed than before!

The same goes when unexpected tasks come up. This is only natural. Just take a moment to reorganize your prioties and carry on with your day. There is no use in stressing out over them.

If you use these simple tips, you will be able to do everything you want to and more. It's all about finding your rhythm and being disciplined with these tips. You and I will both get there. Just you wait and see!

I'll write to you all soon.

Love, Nashi

Comments

Popular Posts