Summer Road Trip Tips

Guys! It's that time of year again. Summer is just around the corner. This means I can finally enjoy long days on the beach, afternoons in the pool, BBQs, and my favorite activity of all, road trips.  I love planning them. I don't care if it will be a day trip kind or an overnight activity, I love doing the research and preparation that comes into road trips and discovering new places.

Last Summer, when I traveled for my Master's graduation in Florida, I planned a family road trip along the East Coast of the United States. We managed to go to 9 states and 2 countries, which was a lot more than we thought we would be able to do! Planning this lengthy over two-week road trip really taught me a few tricks and tips that I like to share with anyone that may be planning a road trip, or I apply them to whenever I plan a road trip myself. Now I want to share it with all of you!

Here are my 15 Road Trip Tips!

Check your car
It's important to know that your tire pressure is accurate, oil is in check, and that you have done everything and anything you can to prevent any breakdown during the long drives. So make sure you make a checklist of all the things you need to check in your car. 

Clean your car
You're going to be spending long hours in it, most likely with other people, so you want it to be clean and organized. So give your car a wash, a vacuum, and buy one of those scented pines so your car is feeling fresh and ready! 

Make a plan 
But make sure it is a flexible plan. You can't plan an hour by hour thing because you might become stressed if something unexpected comes up. Do your research and know what places you would like to see or stop at, but allow yourself the chance to be surprised. Let things flow! This way it will feel like an amazing adventure.

Study the area
Make sure you've written down some reference directions and you've studied how close places are to your hotel, parking, public transport, etc. You don't want to be 100% clueless when you arrive at a new city. You want to have some backup research done.

Pack drinks and snacks!
This has got to be my favorite part about planning road trips. I find it so convenient to bring a cooler with ice so you can keep water, soda, and juices nice and cool. Also, I like to bring fruits and sandwiches so we can snack in the car. The possibilities are endless with this one. Bring whatever is finger food and a family or personal favorite. This will reduce the number of food stops that will be made and also save you money. 

Ask a local where to eat
I always like to find new places to eat with. If we are spending the night at a hotel, I always ask the employees what places they recommend to visit and where to eat. If I have friends in the area, I turn to them for recommendations. You can even find great suggestions online! The point is to visit the places locals would visit. It is part of the adventure.

Pack Light
Only bring the necessary. You don't need big bags with clothes and toiletries. Especially if you are staying a place where you can do laundry. Keep things to a minimum and to what is necessary. You will have more space for souvenirs this way!

Be prepared
I know I said keep it light, but be prepared. Have a first aid kit and a few extra pieces of clothing. Carry things like wipes and cash with you. Anything that may come in handy if you are in a pinch.

Know where the gas stations are
When you are on the road keep the eye out for gas stations. And keep an eye on how much gas you have before, during and after your drive. This is very important since you do not want to be stranded on the side of the road because you ran out of gas.

Make the perfect Road Trip Playlist
Music is a must for any car ride I am in. So I love to make sure I find awesome radio stations, bring great CDs, or make an amazing Playlist on my phone! This will always set the mood for your drives.

Carry some cash
I said this before. It is important to also carry cash with you, not just plastic. Not every place takes credit cards, and sometimes even these can fail us. Carry some emergency cash for moments like this.

Take pictures
And not just the Instagram kind, but the ones you can put in scrapbooks or simply used to remember the moment. You'll regret all the ones you didn't take then, but also don't take too many that you aren't enjoying the moment.

Embrace spontaneity
Let things flow and let things happen. If you see a sign for the world's largest something, take the detour. Saw some awesome farmers market on the side of the road, stop. These are the things that make road trips special. These are the moments we can't plan even if we tried.

Know where you will spend the night beforehand
Plan certain stops ahead of time and reserve a hotel/motel or talk to a friend. You will need rest, especially during long road trips. So make sure you have these planned moments in between all the fun.

Don't have high expectations and live in the moment
My last piece of advice is to let yourself be surprised. I've said it a few times within this post. Don't create this perfect trip minute by minute and allow yourself to live in the moment and flow. This is hard for some people, but trust me there is no better feeling. This is what makes a road trip the most exciting adventure of your Summer.

What are your favorite road trip memories? Make sure to let me know in the comments or on Instagram. I'll write to all of you soon.

Love, Nashi

Comments

Popular Posts