Saint Anything Book Review


Peyton, Sydney’s charismatic older brother, has always been the star of the family, receiving the lion’s share of their parents’ attention and—lately—concern. When Peyton’s increasingly reckless behavior culminates in an accident, a drunk driving conviction, and a jail sentence, Sydney is cast adrift, searching for her place in the family and the world. When everyone else is so worried about Peyton, is she the only one concerned about the victim of the accident?
Enter the Chathams, a warm, chaotic family who run a pizza parlor, play bluegrass on weekends and pitch in to care for their mother, who has multiple sclerosis. Here Sydney experiences unquestioning acceptance. And here she meets Mac, gentle, watchful, and protective, who makes Sydney feel seen, really seen, for the first time.
There is so much I could say about this book that I don't even know where to start. I'm sure most of you can gather by now that Sarah Dessen is my favorite author, but what you may not know is that this is in my top 5 list of her books and it features my favorite of the Dessen boys. This story completely blew me away because even though it was a completely classic Dessen story where you have intricate family dynamics, problems, and love, it is all presented in a refreshing way. 
Sarah Dessen has a way of writing great, natural dialogue, and perfectly fleshed out characters that make you fall in love with them, and this book is no exception. She takes her time as the pages go on and on with this story that before you know it you will be so engrossed in it that the whole day flew you by and you didn't even move! 
There are so many details about this book that I absolutely love that would end up being spoilers like the Saint Anything necklace (which I ended up making one for myself and wearing it all the time), and the french fry trifecta (which I have also done with my best friend). But something I can say is that the characters in this story are very easy to relate to and that even though it deals with similar themes as other Dessen books it in such a unique way that I can guarantee will touch your heart. 
Another thing is that it treats the topic of having a family member incarcerated which is not a theme that is very common or recurring among the YA book scene. I think it is important that topics like these are presented to the world. Also, I like the discussion of guilt and loneliness in this book; as well as, discussing the topic of being invisible and what it is like when you are finally seen. 
This book really has a positive outlook about finding yourself within the chaos that is High School, life, and family drama. It also allows you to believe that there is a chance to be and achieve anything. This is what is so important about the Chathams. Everything they represent and allow Sydney to learn in the time they are in her life. 
For many, I know this type of book may seem a little slow and a lot may be going on within the plot because each character has it's own story but I think it is worth it. It is beautifully written and it definitely is an amazing story. Also, fair warning you might crave pizza and french fries a lot while reading this book!
Have you read Saint Anything? Let me know in the comments what you thought of it! I would also like to announce that if you are a Sarah Dessen fan, her newest book Once and For All comes out May 29th, 2017.
I'll write to you all soon. 
Love, Nashi

Comments

Popular Posts