Take a Breather

Learning how to relax is an important part of keeping ourselves healthy. Nowadays, people seem to lead hectic lifestyles that result in exhausted bodies that cannot function like they should. I suffer from mild anxiety, recurring stress and severe overthinking, which is why I have learned when to say enough and to incorporate things into my daily routine that will help me feel relaxed, focused and healthy.

Here are my favorite tips for when I need a breather!

Relaxing Music

Music is my best friend. I may be looking for a little entertainment, inspiration or motivation, I can always count on music being there. Most importantly whenever I need to focus or relax, I can count on a playlist to get me right back on track. The fact is that I mostly need to clear my head right before bed. I have a bad case of never knowing when to shut off my thoughts; which is why I have 3 playlists that listen to right when I am going to sleep, and sometimes all through the night.

I don't know about you guys, but there is nothing more relaxing for me than a rainy day. Something about them screams comfort. This is why when I can't relax enough to fall asleep at night I listen to a Gentle Rains playlist on Spotify. And that does it! Also, if the sound of rain isn't doing it for me one night, I also enjoy the playlist titled Deep Sleep. During the day, I need things to help me relax but not fall asleep. My go to's are an instrumental playlist with loads of piano, cello, and violin or the Deep Focus playlist on Spotify. If these fail, there is nothing wrong with listening to some of your favorite artists to help you relax


Candles

I often need to be dragged out of the candle section in stores. I go through them as if they were oxygen because, between the scent and the flickering light of the flame, I can find a moment to center myself. There is no specific brand or kind I like, but there are a few scents that I find myself buying over and over again. These are Lavender, Wine Cellar (Bath and Body Works),  Eucalyptus Mint, and Rosemary and Vanilla.

I use candles all day and for anything. While I am trying to focus and work, and when I need to relax. Be careful though when lighting them since they are an obvious fire hazard. Always be safe and never fall asleep with a lit candle. If you don't like candles, you can always use a diffuser and essential oils.

Incense

When I am not using candles, I keep an unhealthy amount of incense handly. So I guess this means I am really into aromatherapy, but this is a great way to keep yourself relax even while working. I have a small wooden stand I use to burn them. Sometimes I use only one scent, and other times I mix and match.

My favorite scents are eucalyptus, lavender, almond, white sage, and cherry. Just like with the candles, there is no specific brand or kind I like. I go by scents and have even bought some really good incense packs for a dollar. The same with candles, be careful when lighting them.

Reading

Okay so I know that reading will not be the best technique for everyone, but it works for me. Reading and writing are two of my favorite things to do, so when I need a moment for myself to relax you will most likely find me with my nose buried inside a book. 

You can always substitute this with whatever helps you feel relaxed. It could be cooking, playing video games, doing yoga, etc. It doesn't matter as long as you find an activity that will help you feel like you are taking a well-deserved break. It could even be a nap! 

Get a little help from technology

Nowadays there is an app for EVERYTHING! I'm not kidding, just have a little look at the app store. My favorite app is the Calm.com app. This is your one stop for anything related to meditation and finding calm within the chaos of our days. In the app you have options of breathing exercises, meditation, relaxation sounds and even has a section dedicated to sleep. Download it and check it out, it really doesn't disappoint and you can take it with you anywhere you go. I also use others like Relax Melodies and Spotify. 

Get out!

Sometimes the best thing we can do is walk away and find our center elsewhere. My favorite is to go and have a walk, especially at the beach. It really doesn't matter what you do or where you go. Simply find that place that will help you connect with yourself again.

These tips might not work for everyone, but I know they work for me and some people I know. What's important is finding what works for you.

Tell me in the comments what are some of your favorite relaxation techniques, apps, and relaxing music. I'll write to you all soon.

Love, Nashi

Comments

Popular Posts